Sunday, October 24, 2010

Social Unrest

Last night I headed out for a run and as I got to the end of the park where I normally turn around, I noticed multiple police vehicles stationed at the beginning of the Reeperbahn. My curiosity got the best of me, so I headed down the street to see what was going on.

A few blocks later, I come across police lined up in riot gear, with one officer issuing instructions through a loudspeaker. Intermingled with this were rioters throwing bottles and firecrackers, and the police responding with water cannons. A protester came running up to the police and the tank and was pushed violently to the ground.

I found the whole scene really quite horrible but somehow could not turn myself away, maybe due to my journalistic inclinations. I ventured as close as safely possible and could only wish I had a camera with me. A bit later, the police had arrested a group of 25 or so and had them surrounded, with another line of police officers blocking off the sidewalk.  Here, too, I felt as if I were somehow mesmerised, despite the rain and cold, and could only stand watching the police officers, still in full riot gear, facing me.

I don't if it's due to growing up in America or to never having lived an extended period of time in a big city, but before coming here, I had never witnessed a mass demonstration or its violent aftermath. A month or so ago, a so-considered alternative part of the city celebrated a  peaceful neighborhood festival that turned into a violent riot as evening came. Having been warned ahead of time, I steered clear of the area, but still had to ride down a bordering street to get home. I found it so bizarre to see groups of a dozen police officers, all in full riot gear, standing at every street corner and police vechicles, including tanks with water cannons, lining the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment