Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Hamburg's Heroines

1) Heike

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear."

Never before have I met anyone who so fully lives out these words.  Heike has been with pbi since the '80's, first in various Latin American projects and, most recently, travelling around Germany presenting her puppet show.  Her contract with pbi expired in February, but you would never know it - she has continued working just as hard for pbi, despite the fact that she no longer gets paid.

Heike doesn't have an apartment or a house - she sleeps in our office when she is in Hamburg, and when she is travelling, she spends her nights on whatever beds, couches, or floors are available to her.
All that she owns fits in her backpack and a large cupboard in our office.  Her wardrobe is spartan, based on comfort and warmth, and consists almost entirely of items given to her from others.
Her diet consists primarily of anything she finds in our office's collective fridge or in, for example, apples that have already fallen to the ground.  Even wilted vegetables will be fully utilized by Heike's creative cooking.

I am continually amazed at the epitome of simple living that Heike embodies.  I can only wish to be like her in her disregard for receiving payment and for material wealth.  Even more, I admire her trust and faith and the freedom that comes with that.  I am continually haunted with worries and questions of "What if?" Heike, though, has enough trust in God and enough faith in people's generousity to rest assured that all her needs will be provided.



2) Heinke

Before ever having met me, Heinke and her husband Johannes offered me their home until I was able to find a room here in Hamburg.  In sharing their home and in sharing their daily bread, I discovered hospitality and generousity every day anew.

Beyond this, Heinke has a seemingly tireless dedication to pursuing justice.  In her upper 60's, Heinke has worked with pbi since it began, and she's still at it.  When I would return late each evening, she would sit with me as I ate and, after inquiring about my day, would tell me about the event she had attended or the effort she had led that evening and of the human rights abuses going on in Guatemala, in Colombia, in Mexico.
I would feel guilty because after spending the day in the office of a human rights organisation, I wanted to busy myself with light and entertaining topics, not to hear more stories about the suffering of others.

Having reached the point in life where she could justifiably put her feet up, pat herself on the back, and say "Well done, good and faithful servant," Heinke doesn't rest.  Knowing the long race that is the quest for justice, Heinke finds the perseverance and keeps running.

3) Helga

Actually, I have no idea what this lady's name is, but continuing with the trend, I shall call her Helga.

There is an outdoor stage at the nearby park, which hosted free concerts on Sunday afternoons throughout the summer.  And at every concert I went to, there was Helga.

On the dancefloor next to the stage, Helga would dance.  Regardless of what kind of music was playing.  Regardless of if she was surrounded by couples, if she was mixing in with other free spirits, or if she was the lone figure on the dance floor for all to see. Regardless of if people dance with her or stare and laugh at her, Helga dances.

"We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance."
~Japanese Proverb


No comments:

Post a Comment