Monday, November 15, 2010

Counting the Blessings

Tuesday:  Cherry tomatoes on sale.  Pondering the possibilities of illegally riding the train by hiding on the luggage rack. Discovering radio on the train. Amusing Paul and Juli with my "Forever Young" dance.  Escaping the city. Surviving two back-to-back human rights workshops with confirmands and having them go better than expected.  Working to dispel 13 year-olds' prejudices against foreigners and those receiving governmental aid.  Torsten's inexhaustible enthusiasm.  "The man who calmed the sea!....Oh yeah."  "What's always the right answer in confirmation?  Jesus!"  Paul's humor. Singing and laughing over "Put your hand in the hand in the hand..."  Vegetarian Döner.  Singing "Heute kann es regnen" in celebration of Micha's birthday.  Snacks.

Wednesday: The opportunity to remember the events of Nov. 9/10, 1938.  Movie night.  The score from 'The Cider House Rules.'  Snacks.  "Good night, you Princes of Maine, you Kings of New England!"

Thursday: Free concert.  'Solid Ground.'

Friday:  The uncommon experience of being completely alone in the office.  Listening to classical music while working.  Watching 'The Colbert Report' on my lunch break.  The satisfaction of a completed grant proposal.  The smell of clean laundry.  Chocolate with vanilla cookie in the middle.  The magic of Harry Potter.

Saturday: The lovely Fielmann worker fixing my glasses free of charge.  The enjoyment I find in running errands.  Reading TIME Magazine.  Chasing down protests and following riot police around downtown.  The singular experience of standing directly in between protesters and dozens of police lined up in riot gear.  The lack of major violence throughout the day's protests.  Skype calls with the family.  My 3 year-old niece serenading me with The Black-Eyed Peas' "I've Got a Feeling." More Harry Potter.  Amusing Skype conversation with Michael, in which I spoke in German and he responded in English.

Sunday: The rain pausing long enough for me to make my bike trek to church.  Richard playing "Before the Throne of God" on the piano.  Excellent hot chocolate and interesting conversation.  Spending two hours making sweet potato soup (with apple, carrot, and leek) with emotional support from Owl City and Jack's Mannequin.  Enjoying the delicious soup all the more because it took me so long to make it.  Brötchen fresh out of the oven.  Sunday afternoon walk, despite the rain.  The opportunity to remember those who died trying to reach Europe and in pre-deportation detention.  Thought-provoking message.  Stirring music.  Delicious bread and spread.  More Harry Potter.

2 comments:

  1. And when I read this I can't help but think to myself how jealous I am of how you have found the little blessings in each day, and have things going on, even if you may not think they are that great or exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally identify with reading a Time magazine. I used to travel 30 minutes into town to buy one every other Tuesday in my part of Nigeria. I'm still a newshound today because of the lack of news I lived without for a few years! Miss you!

    PS We're doing silly contra dancing again at the winter orientation. I thought you'd approve.

    ReplyDelete